The Mid-Autumn Festival, one of the traditional Chinese celebrations, falls on Thursday, September 19th, 2013 (always Lunar August 15th) this year. We introduce a Mooncake Recipe for your family fun time. Please enjoy the heaviest full moon and share your sweetness with your family and friends.
MOONCAKES RECIPE (Cantonese Style)
材料：面粉3杯，Syrup1杯，Butter半条，Baking Soda ½ Teaspoon。豆沙馅，五仁馅若干。
1. 3 cups all-purpose flour
2. 1 cup syrup
3. ½ a stick of butter
4. ½ Teaspoon baking soda
Filling: (Mashed Red beans)
1. 1 egg yolk
2. 1 table spoon milk
1. In a large bowl, mix the syrup, melted butter, baking soda, and stir until all ingredients are mixed. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Take one dough section, roll into a ball, then flatten with a rolling pin. Roll until dough is thin.
3. Take filling, make into a ball and put in the center of the dough. Wrap dough around the filling until it is a thin layer covering the entire filling, and seal dough around filling.
4. Place the dough ball into the mold, then put mold on flat surface and press down on the handle hard, shaping mooncake. To remove, press on the lever and slowly the mooncake will pop out. Repeat with remaining mooncakes.
5. Preheat oven to 350F. Place mooncakes on a baking sheet，spray water on surface. Bake for about 5 minutes.
6. Remove and quickly brush the mooncake tops with egg wash (egg yolk + milk). Place back in oven and bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
7. Let mooncakes cool. After they are cooled, place in container and let sit for two days.